Have you heard of the Korean 10-step skincare routine? Maybe you've tried it, or maybe you've been meaning to but don't know where to start. K-beauty expert Clara Lee, founder of ChokChok skincare, breaks down the how and why of each step, plus offers a shortcut option if time is tight.
If you are a skincare addict like myself, by now you’ve probably heard of it and tried it. For those who have not, the Korean 10-step skincare routine is a 10 step process of layering skincare products going from thin to thick texture products to achieve chokchok (Korean phrase for dewy, luminous skin), or “glassy skin.” The products are meant to be layered in order to lock in the products’ active ingredients and maximize hydration.
The 10 steps usually entail:
1. Oil cleanser - to remove make-up and dirt
2. Gel/Foam cleanser - a second cleanse to get rid of any leftover residue after oil cleansing
3. Toner - to balance the pH of your skin and functions as a light exfoliator
4. Essence - the thinnest skincare product to give hydration and prep the skin for the next step
5. Emulsion - a little thicker than an essence and is packed with powerful botanical extracts
6. Serum - packed with active ingredients to address various skin problems such as acne, wrinkles, or hyperpigmentation
7. Sheet mask - delivers intense hydration to the skin and it can also address various skin concerns
8. Eye cream
9. Moisturizer - to seal in the hydration and active ingredients contained in the previous products
10. Sunscreen protection during daytime - the most important step to prevent premature aging of the skin
Depending on your skin type, these 10 steps will surely result in glowing skin. But honestly, it can be a little daunting, time-consuming and costly to go through that ritual on a regular basis. Now that the 10-step skincare routine craze has died down a little, talk about simplified skincare routines is gaining popularity within the K-beauty community. So, is it possible to simplify your skincare routine with fewer steps without sacrificing glowy, luminous skin? The simple answer is yes, as long as you have the right products! You can still achieve glowy and dewy skin by following this simple skincare routine:
1. Double cleanse - (this is a non-negotiable in my skincare routine, I recommend using an oil
cleanser and then a gel or foam cleanser at night even if you don’t have any makeup on)
2. Sheet mask or exfoliating treatment 1-2 times per week
3. Serum rich in active-ingredients
4. Moisturizer to seal in the hydration
5. Sunscreen protection during the daytime
Ultimately, skincare is a personal process of testing out quality products and listening to what your own skin needs. So, whether you’re a 10-step or a 5-step follower, you can achieve your best chokchok skin!