Digital Conference Recap: Using Online Tools when IRL Isn't Available
The PR Net hosted our first digital conference, co-presented by Gaby Howard, founder & CEO of PR/marketing software platform Flaunter, focusing on leveraging digital tools to conduct business when IRL means aren’t available – a very timely discussion. The full recording of the meeting is available here.
We were humbled by the incredible generosity of the people who spoke and shared stories about how their companies and clients were adapting - from multinational companies with tens of thousands of employees to boutique teams of three. Some of the key messages we heard were:
- We survived 9/11, we survived the global financial crisis of 2008 - we will survive this
- Don’t operate in a vacuum - now is a great time to lean on your industry friends & colleagues
- Adapt to the new normal fast to engage with your audience /consumers (for ex, restaurants and chefs are doing at-home tutorials)
- Digital product launches, showings & desksides are proving to be effective
- Take this time to learn new skills
- Be relevant in the short term but plan for the long term - we are likely 4-6 weeks away from phased reopening
- Treat your clients, media, and employees with compassion and empathy
- People will remember how individuals and brands acted during this time, make decisions that you will be proud of later and prompt your brand/clients to do the same
- Don’t freeze – connect with others and mobilize in ways that can help yourself and your comm’s sisters & brothers
The PR Net will continue with digital meet-ups during the next few weeks, with upcoming themes including 'Media Best Practices during COVID-19' and 'Events & Experiential Industry Spotlight.' We welcome your programming ideas and invite speakers to join in on these digital meetings.